Thursday, February 19, 2009

I'm flattered, but ...fake ZDNet review leads to malware

Malware writers have been using bogus antivirus products to infect computers--such rogue programs are not new. But Lawrence Abrams, owner of BleepingComputer.com notified me this morning that one new rogue is posting a fake review written by one "Robert Vamosi."

This particular rogue is called Anti-Virus-1, and it takes over a computer's HOSTS file so that it redirects users to bogus reviews site, such as this one supposedly posted on ZDNet.com (screenshot courtesy of Bleepingcomputer.com)



You can see a larger version here.

And here's the CNET review I also didn't write.

Note, I have never given any product a 9.5 in all my years reviewing antivirus programs. Also, look at the URL: a1.reviews.zdnet.com -- this is not the URL format for a ZDNet review.

The forums at Bleepingcomputer.com have more on this particular rogue.

No comments:

Post a Comment